Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Eating and Exercising for Baby and other Things

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the phrase "you are eating for two now." A few weeks in to my pregnancy I read that 2nd person you are eating for is the size of a walnut (now a lime) and I really only need an extra glass of milk and a piece of fruit daily to satisfy eater number 2. So really I've just endeavored to eat like I normally do except 5 times more healthier. Tim and I've always eaten healthier than average I suppose, but now we decided to kick it up a notch. This means lots of fruits and vegetables and fewer and fewer processed foods with no nutritional value. Also, since I can't have wine or coffee my two main food groups, I've been forced to drink a lot more water, juice, and even milk which I haven't enjoyed drinking since Jr. High. Oddly enough I've had healthful food cravings like cucumbers and strawberries. For 2 seconds I considered completely eliminating processed foods from our diet, but then I realized this would mean no cheerios, store bought english muffins, or crackers. I'm not giving up those! One of the things that has really helped us consume more vegetables is my new cookbook Eating Well 500 Calorie Dinners. This is an amazing cookbook! Its full of simple, quick, vegetable and flavor packed recipes that just happen to be around 300 calories. It pairs two sides which each recipe that add up to 500 calories total for the meal.
So, I've also started walking about 3-4 times a week. I need to bump that up to everyday which will be easier now that the days are longer and the weather nicer. Making a baby is the best motivation ever for taking better care of oneself. 

Tomorrow I'll be 15 weeks. I have a little bump but nothing most people would notice. I can't button up my pants these days so I've been forced to use the hair band trick covered by extra long shirts. I've started looking at maternity clothes and was really surprised what you can get for really great prices. Case and point:

Target and Destination Maternity

All for under $30. I've also gotten some hand me downs too. :)

Today I received one of the quarterly newsletters from the Sanyu Babies Home in Uganda. Turns out this may or may not be Sailor's home since our agency is working to establish connections with another Ugandan orphanage and our adoption will be later than sooner these days. However, I love this little home and I love hearing about the children who are so well cared for and loved. I was excited to see the Easter donation they posted on their home page which asks for just $14 to help them purchase some chicks for the home to raise and produce eggs to eat and sell.



Speaking of Easter, my favorite time of year is quickly approaching. SPRING!!! Tim and I just spent the most wonderful evening eating Scholotzsky's and plant shopping at the Lowes in Kerrville. We got green beans, cucumbers, strawberries, tomatoes, and raspberries to support our new healthful habits. Of course I got my year supply of succulents and lots of blooms for my flower garden including poppies, zinnias, and ranunculus. I am determined to have a green thumb one day, absolutely determined. Below is some motivation.

succulents

ranunculus

our peach orchard in bloom


Friends and family, we will be sharing our harvest both edible and decorative and hope to make some trades as well. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment